Family loses everything in house fire, right before Christmas - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Exclusive

Family loses everything in house fire, right before Christmas

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB) (WFSB)
EAST HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A family in East Hartford was left without a home, and much more, after a fire earlier this week.

The fire is still under investigation, and Alicia Nedzeckas’ family was forced out of their home, and they face a very uncertain future this holiday season.

She had been saving and shopping for months for her 18-month-old daughter Skylar.

"I bought her this Disney clubhouse because that's what she loves,” Nedzeckas said.

But that was before Monday, when the family’s Christmas dreams disappeared amidst plumes of black smoke, caused by an electrical fire in the basement apartment.

“Everything is gone,” Nedzeckas said.

Things became even bleaker for the family on Tuesday, when Nedzeckas’ fiancée Don was working on the now unlivable home, when he fell off the third-floor roof.

He broke his neck in four places and will likely spend Christmas at Saint Francis Hospital.

Fortunately, the Nedzeckas’ friends are letting the family stay with them and have even set up a GoFundMe page to help out.

Nedzeckas said it is a reminder that people, not possessions, are what make the holiday season.

"I don't even know what to do right now...if it wasn't for my friends right now because I don't have a lot of friends. I wouldn't even know what to do,” Nedzeckas said.

To visit the GoFundMe page, click here.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.