UConn lineman charged with misdemeanor assault - WFSB 3 Connecticut

UConn lineman charged with misdemeanor assault

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB) (WFSB)
STORRS, CT (AP) -

A UConn football player has been charged with misdemeanor assault and breach of peace in connection with an off-campus incident in September.

State police say Brian Cespedes, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound offensive lineman, was charged Saturday after an investigation into a fight at a home on Sept. 16.

According to the incident report, five people reported being injured during a fight that happened the night before UConn played Virginia.

UConn spokesman Kyle Muncy says Cespedes' status as a member of the team has not changed. He says the coaching staff was made aware of the incident and addressed it at the time.

UConn finished a 3-9 season last month.

Cespedes, a redshirt freshman, is due in Superior Court in Rockville on Dec. 21.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.