A week after dozens of families in Hartford’s Frog Hollow Neighborhood were forced out by a fire and it has left many scrambling right before Christmas.
Speaking through an interpreter, Ana Hilda said she is just a day away from returning to see what's left of her home.
“Nothing, nothing at all,” Hilda said.
Hilda and her husband were visiting their children and grandchildren in Puerto Rico. They were on a plane while the fire occurred last week.
The entire Avalon Village building caught on fire on Dec. 12. Officials said all this was caused by an electrical problem. Eyewitness News did submit an official request to learn of any issues the building previously had.
“It's like a disaster,” Hilda said. “It's like starting all over again.”
Niece Migdalia Escudero had to break the bad news to her aunt when they touched down in Puerto Rico.
“They can't even spend Christmas because they have to come back because they're going to find it's a disaster,” Escudero said. “They have nothing.”
They scrambled to fly back, but ultimately decided to just spend a week with their children. They return early Wednesday morning forced to finally confront their new reality.
“I didn't have a lot, but the little that I had, now that I'm coming back, it's going to be like a shock,” Hilda said. “I have nothing. It's place where I lived.”
In all, more than 71 people were displaced by this fire. Some stayed with relatives. With the help of American Red Cross, the city put others up in a nearby motel.
Eyewitness News reached out to the Department of Health and Human Services to see how long the mandatory assistance lasts, but haven't heard back.
In the meantime, Escudero said she will open up her home to her aunt and uncle, bringing them under one roof for Christmas, just not the way anyone planned.
“It's not going to be the same, but we're preparing to get everything situated for them,” Escudero said.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.