It’s true, chocolate is toxic to dogs - WFSB 3 Connecticut

It’s true, chocolate is toxic to dogs

No doubt every dog owner has heard that chocolate can be dangerous to their pet. While you may have tossed your dog a chocolaty treat or they may raided the candy box in the past without getting sick, it is a very real danger. No doubt every dog owner has heard that chocolate can be dangerous to their pet. While you may have tossed your dog a chocolaty treat or they may raided the candy box in the past without getting sick, it is a very real danger.

No doubt every dog owner has heard that chocolate can be dangerous to their pet.  While you may have tossed your dog a chocolaty treat or they may raided the candy box in the past without getting sick, it is a very real danger.

Chocolate, especially darker chocolates with higher cocoa content, even in small amounts, can make your dog very sick.

Cocoa powder and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are the most dangerous, while white and milk chocolates are the least toxic. 

Larger dogs tend to be more resistant to problems than smaller animals.

The danger is in the theobromine and caffeine found in the chocolate.  Dogs are more sensitive to these compounds than humans.

Symptoms to look for may include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, pacing, extreme thirst or even seizures. Stimulants from chocolate may linger in the dog’s system for as long as three days.

If you suspect your dog is sick from eating chocolate, contact your veterinarian right away.

Copyright 2017 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.