Three Ways to Make Smokes Salmon
From Laura Grimmer at The Perfect Pear
Smoked Salmon Mousse
Smoked salmon, in bits or chopped coarsely
Crème fraîche or sour cream
Salt, white pepper and lemon juice
1. Purée equal parts smoked salmon and crème fraîche in a food processor until well blended. Season as needed with salt, white pepper and lemon juice.
Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes 8 sandwiches
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
3 T. finely diced red onion
2 T. capers, rinsed and drained
8 slices pumpernickel or other black bread
¼ lb. sliced smoked salmon
1. Place cream cheese, red onion and capers in a bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until well combined.
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Salad with Ginger-Lemon Dressing
(Adapted from Patricia Wells)
2 T. fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of 2 lemons
2 T. freshly grated ginger
¼ t. fine sea salt
? c. extra-virgin olive oil
8 thin slices (about 8 oz.) smoked salmon
2 large ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and cut lengthwise into thin strips
Coarse-ground black pepper
Fresh dill springs and lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
1. In a jar with a tight lid, combine lemon juice, zest, grated ginger and salt. Cover jar and shake to blend. Add oil, cover and shake to blend. Adjust seasoning as needed.
2. To plate, arrange two slices of salmon on a chilled plate; drizzle with a big of dressing. Fan out half of an avocado over each serving of salmon and drizzle with more dressing.
3. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and other garnishes, if using.