Man arrested following Berlin motel death - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man arrested following Berlin motel death

Posted: Updated:
Police continue to investigate the suspicious death of a man who was found at a Days Inn in Berlin. (WFSB) Police continue to investigate the suspicious death of a man who was found at a Days Inn in Berlin. (WFSB)

State police said they have made an arrest after a clerk was shot and killed at the Days Inn Sunday.

According to police, they were called to the Days Inn on the Berlin Turnpike around 2:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The clerk who had been working inside the motel,  Jagani, 25, of Berlin, was shot and killed.

Police said Rahheem K. McDonald, 38, of Waterbury was arrested in connection with his death.

He was charged with murder, criminal possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm without a permit, and possession of a high capacity magazine.

Police have not said why Jagani was shot.

Officials said McDonald was later arrested that night after the shooting when he got into a head-on car crash in North Haven half an hour later.

Two people were hurt in the crash.

Police said Rahheem ran off, but came back to the scene of the crash, where he was arrested.

He told officers he was high on the drug PCP.

The motel was partially evacuated for the investigation and other guests were told to lock their doors and stay inside their rooms.

Officers from Meriden and Newington were said to be involved. The New Britain Police Department's SWAT team was also called to do a sweep of the property.

Joe Santillo and his family were staying at the motel at the time of the shooting.

He was shaken by the incident.

"It's pretty nerve-wracking to think someone lost their life whatever the circumstance, but the fact is it happened so close for who knows what reason," Santillo said.

Motel employees said Jagani had worked at the Days Inn for three years and was a newlywed.

He was married in India in January, where his wife still lives.

Family members said she is trying to travel to the U.S. and hopes to see her husband one last time.

Bond for Rahheem's arrest was set at $2 million dollars.

Police said there was no threat to the public.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.