Firefighters in New Haven responded to two overnight fires they blamed on improperly disposed fireworks.
Seven people without a place to stay between the two homes.
"Both of them were discarded in the trash can, which over a period of time smoldered and caught the houses on fire," said Deputy Fire Marshal James Hynek, New Haven Fire Department.
According to fire officials, one call came in just before 12:30 a.m. on Wednesday for a fire on Walnut Street.
"At the time of arrival, we did not know if there were occupants in the building, so we aggressively fought the fire from inside the building," said Assist. Chief Mark Vendetto, New Haven Fire Department.
They said someone on the second floor of the home saw the flames outside of the window and alerted the family on the first floor.
A second home sustained fire and water damage as a result.
Firefighters said the second fire happened on Woolsey Street.
Everyone was safely evacuated and no one was hurt. Seven people in all were displaced. Firefighters said none of them were children.
The cause in that case also appears to be improperly disposed fireworks.
Investigators said the fireworks in both fire cases were legal.
"All fireworks are fireworks," Hynek said. "Connecticut does allow sparklers and fountains, but anything that is propelled into the air is illegal."
Officials said there is a safe and easy way to get rid of fireworks.
"Fifteen to 20 minutes after fireworks have been lit off, that they be put in a bucket of water to let soak for at least 15 minutes," Hynek said. "We recommend that it be overnight."
Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.