New Britain daycare surrenders license - WFSB 3 Connecticut


New Britain daycare surrenders license

Posted: Updated:
A New Britain daycare has surrendered its license after allegations of abuse (WFSB) A New Britain daycare has surrendered its license after allegations of abuse (WFSB)

A New Britain mother is looking for answers after she says a now "former" daycare owner struck her son.

Yarieliz Gonzalez used to send her 1-year-old son, Bryson, to the Travesuras Home Daycare on Smalley Street in New Britain when she went off to work.

On Friday Oct. 13, Gonzalez said she was changing Bryson and found a mark that was not there when before he went to daycare.

"I don't hit my son at all, if he's misbehaving he's on time out. We don't put hands on my child at all. So me undressing him and seeing a mark on his leg you know kind of woken me like wait what's going on here,” Gonzalez said.

She added that it was a hand mark.

“When I looked I put him to the light and you can see three finger marks on his leg and they were bright red, super bright red,” she said.

Gonzalez had never had issues with the daycare in the past but immediately sent a text to the owner Luz Correa.

“I went and I texted the babysitter asking if she hit my son on his leg and she admitted to doing it and that it won't happen again,” Gonzalez said.

In the texts Gonzalez provided to Channel 3, translated from Spanish, read in part: “Luz, did you hit my son on the leg? He is marked with a hand print and it's red.” The response: “I gave him a spanking Mami. I told you I’m sorry I won't do it again.”

Gonzalez said Correa told her she spanked Bryson because he kept getting undressed, but sorry wasn't enough.

“I would like for her to get arrested for assaulting my son. He's only 1 years old, he can't defend himself,” Gonzalez said, adding that she contacted police.

“I spent my Friday night just crying and crying and I didn't know what to do or who to call, I just didn't even know where to start,” she said.

Channel 3 reached out to Correa several times by phone and tried knocking on the door of the daycare on Smalley Street with no answer.

When Channel 3 did some digging, it found the daycare had no record of issues in the past and it passed all inspections.

The Department of Children and Families said they could not comment.

But New Britain police said they were looking into the case and that it should be resolved quickly.

With the complaint, Channel 3 checked with the Office of Early Childhood Development who said they had an open investigation at the daycare but soon after records showed Correa had voluntarily surrendered her license.

 “The fact that she admitted that she is going through a lot of family issues and that's what triggered for her hitting my son like that it's traumatizing to me and my child,” Gonzalez said.

Now Bryson is staying with Gonzalez’s sister while she figures out what comes next.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.