Sister of man at center of manhunt wishes she could’ve helped hi - WFSB 3 Connecticut


Sister of man at center of manhunt wishes she could’ve helped him

Posted: Updated:
Brandon Uzialko was at the center of a manhunt in Norwich on Tuesday night (WFSB/Police) Brandon Uzialko was at the center of a manhunt in Norwich on Tuesday night (WFSB/Police)

A three-day search for a man wanted for a violent home invasion in Norwich ended Tuesday night in a shootout.

Connecticut State Police have taken over the investigation because it was Norwich officer-involved shooting.

Kierra Coffey, the sister of the man police were looking for Tuesday night, exclusively told Channel 3 that she was prepared for the worst.

"As much as everyone in our family attempted to help him, there was no stopping it,” she said.

Coffey says she loved her brother and would have done anything to help him. 

A source told Channel 3 that last night around 7 p.m., a store clerk spotted Brandon Uzialko and notified police that he was walking north on Boswell towards the Greenville neighborhood of Norwich.

The 25-year-old man was wanted for attempted murder. Last Saturday, police say Uzialko broke into his ex-girlfriend’s house on Quarto Road and allegedly stabbed her new boyfriend and went on the run.

"If I could have prevented it, I definitely would have,” Coffey said.

The unidentified victim suffered life-threatening stab wounds and remains hospitalized. 

Uzialko, meanwhile, had not been seen for three days, until early Tuesday evening. That's when Norwich police came in contact with him on Boswell where neighbors say there was an exchange of gunfire.

"They were sweeping, up and down and up and down,” said eyewitness Brandon Russell.

The State Police Tactical Team found Uzialko's body hours later on Prospect Street. 

Coffey said her brother was upset last weekend because of the way his 2-year-old son is treated by his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend, who she identified as Carlos.

"Brandon had told me a week prior to this happening that Carlos put his hands on my nephew," Coffey said.

She added that the situation was misunderstood and complicated.

Coffey says her brother was a good guy but the relationship he had with his ex was not good. 

Court records show Brandon was charged a year ago, August with strangulation and more recently with trespassing.

"I think I mentally prepared myself for all of this to happen and I think that's why I'm not an emotional wreck,” Coffey said.

The major crime unit is assisting in the investigation.

Meanwhile, the cause of death of Uzialko will be determined during an autopsy by the state medical examiner.

"There's not much we can change now. All we can do is hope that Carlos recovers, go to my brother's funeral and just keep it going,” Coffey said.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.