Human remains found in Hampton home after fire this morning - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Human remains found in Hampton home after fire this morning

Posted: Updated:
(@QVEC911) (@QVEC911)

Firefighters found human remains after a house fire in Hampton was extinguished early Thursday morning.  

According to officials, a call came in reporting a fire at 33 11th Section Rd. shortly before 4:30 am.  The building was a single-family home in the Goodwin State Forest.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy on the remains to get a positive identification of the victim as well as determine the cause and manner of death, state police said. 

Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit detectives and Connecticut State Police Eastern District Major Crime detectives along with the Hampton Fire Marshal are conducting an investigation into the fire. 

It's the only home on that stretch of road and was fully engulfed by the time crews arrived.

Neighbors described hearing what sounded like gunshots early in the morning.

One man who lives on North Brook Street said he sprang out of bed when he went outside to check things out.

He told Channel 3 off camera that he quickly realized his neighbor's house was on fire.

"He heard some banging and some popping noises," said Chief Noel Waite, Hampton Fire Department.

Firefighters said there was a report of a person inside the home at the time of the fire; however, they did not release any details.

"The second floor and roof were totally consumed at that point," Waite said. "The first floor was flames from wall to wall."

Several departments were called in for mutual aid, including Chaplin, Scotland, Canterbury and Windham Center.

"We have a pond down at the Goodwin Forest that we tapped into that's probably from the scene, 3/4 of a mile [away]," Waite said. "We're tapping into that and we're doing a tanker shuttle up here and then pumping it from here up to our trucks."

Heavy rain also posed some problems for firefighters.

"We're having a little bit of a mud issue up there, but we're coping with it," Waite said.

Waite said in addition to being the fire chief he's also the local fire marshal. He said he requested some help from the state fire marshal to investigate a cause.

The home was said to have been completely destroyed. 

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.