Pumpkin Red Lentil Dal, Indian Middle Eastern Pumpkin Lentil Stew
From James O'Shea at the West Street Grill
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil or very light olive oil
- One large Spanish onion peeled and chopped finely
- Five cloves of garlic sliced thin or minced
- 4 1/2 cups of small sweet pumpkin, peeled and seeded -cut into large bite-size chunks
- One cup of canned cherry tomatoes in their juice. Or, 1 cup of San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2-3 chili de Arbol, or other chili's
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and grated, (use a micro plane)
- 1.5 Tableapoons of Dall Marsala
- (Or, 2.5 tsp of ground cumin, or 1 tsp of turmeric)
- 1 1/3 cups of red lentils (Bobs Red Mill)
- Sea salt to taste
- 3.5 cups of water
- 1/2 Cup of tomato juice
- Garnish- fresh cilantro (stems and leaves)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large sauce pan and cook the onion until golden, a few minutes. Add the garlic and spices, cook 1.5 minutes stirring around.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and sauté the pumpkin until the pieces are golden brown all over.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot with the onions stir and cook for a few more minutes. At the pumpkin and lentils. Pour in the water and tomato juice
- Season well with sea salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cool for 20 minutes or so until the pumpkin is tender and the lentils have begun to break down. (Taste the stew for tenderness of the lentils and pumpkin) if needed, add a little additional water.
- The stew should be thick - check the seasoning and grinding in some pepper if you like it hot.
- Divide Into deep bowls and scatter with the cilantro garnish.
- Devour with rice and Indian flatbread.
- Serve with small bowls of coconut or cashew yogurt on the side with the addition of a little coriander chutney. (This lovely chutney and all ingredients can be purchased at Cosmos International Inc. imported and gourmet foods located in West Hartford.
- This stew is quite simple to simple to prepare and is immensely satisfying!