A propane leak that evacuated a neighborhood in Portland was contained Monday morning, according to fire officials.
Dispatchers confirmed to Channel 3 that the leak was a result a downed tree at a home on Bartlett Street. The call came in about 5 a.m.
Firefighters said seven homes, about nine people including three children, were evacuated on Monday morning.
When they arrived, firefighters doused the affected area with water for several hours. They also cut power to the house.
Firefighters said when the tree came down, it sheared the valve of the propane tank right off.
"When we got here, we were about three-quarters level in the tanks," said Chief Robert Shea, Portland Fire Department. "We were able to isolate the second tank, which left just the leaking tank, and then from that point, we've lost almost half that volume."
Neighbors told Channel 3 that they were woken up by the loud sirens and firefighters knocking on their doors to alert them to what was happening.
"We woke up [Monday] morning, and I kept hearing all this commotion," said Susan Denny, who lives on Bartlett Street. "And I heard somebody saying 'Evacuate! We have to get these people to evacuate!' And I thought, 'Oh my God! We have to get up!'"
Crews contained the leak later in the morning.
They had been concerned that the leak would impact the Gildersleeve School. However, it was contained.
Schools were closed anyway because of storm damage.
The home where the tank was leaking was under renovation, so no one was home at the time, firefighters said.
There were no reported injuries.
Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.