Wind plays factor in Hamden house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Wind plays factor in Hamden house fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters battled a house fire in Hamden on Monday afternoon. (WFSB) Firefighters battled a house fire in Hamden on Monday afternoon. (WFSB)
HAMDEN, CT (WFSB) -

A firefighter was injured and a family was displaced after a house fire in Hamden on Monday afternoon.

The fire was reported at 219 Garvin Rd. around 12:45 p.m. 

Hamden Deputy Fire Chief Gary Merwede said they received a 911 call from a next-door neighbor, who is a retired Hamden fire lieutenant. Merwede said a fully-involved garage fire extended to the home on Gavin Road.

Upon arrival, firefighters reported "heavy fire" above the garage and home.

Fire officials said while a homeowner was working in a garage, gasoline vapor was ignited by a portable propane heater. The homeowner tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful. That's when the fire spread up the walls and into an attic space. 

Merwede told Eyewitness News the wind was a big factor and allowed the fire to spread very quickly. 

"Gusting winds contributed to the fire spread in the attic," Merwede said. 

A part of the roof collapsed due to the "fire load," Merwede said. 

"All personnel were ordered out of the house for a short period until defensive operations stabilized the situation," Merwede said. 

One firefighter suffered a "minor burn," Merwede said. No one else reported any injuries to authorities. 

The two people living at the home were displaced and will receive help from the American Red Cross.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.