Armed man injured, arrested during Waterbury police involved sho - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Armed man injured, arrested during Waterbury police involved shooting

Posted: Updated:
Michael Veillette (Waterbury Police) Michael Veillette (Waterbury Police)

State police are investigating an officer involved shooting in Waterbury on Wednesday afternoon.

Waterbury police responded around 5 p.m. to Chipman Street for the report of a suicidal man. 

When officers arrived on scene, they learned Michael Veillette, 32, was armed with a shotgun. 

Police determined Veillette was possibly heading towards 60 Slocum St, which is the address for Holy Land. Officers were able to find the suspect at the location. 

This was just one day after Waterbury Police found Veillette in the same spot with a different gun. 

A standoff between Veillette and officers occurred on Slocum Street. 

During the standoff, Veillette was shot in the abdomen by a Waterbury officer's duty weapon. 

"Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, and the somebody call the police, they come right away. After they come, the firemen, more police, more detectives," said Olga Garcia of Waterbury. 

Detectives from State Police Western District Major Crimes are investigating the use of force aspect in this shooting. 

"We do have a recent history with Veillette, there was a similar call earlier in the week, actually found in the same location in possession of a loaded hand gun," Waterbury Deputy Chief Fred Spagnolo said. 

On Tuesday, police said they encountered Veillette with a gun outside the gates of Holy Land. 

"At that time our detectives conducted a risk warrant and seized all handguns registered to Mr. Veillette at that time, so after his stay at the hospital earlier this week and being release on bond, from his charges, he somehow was able to get a hold of a shot gun that did not belong to him and make the attempt again," Spagnolo said. 

Two women who know Veillette told Eyewitness News that he served in the Marines and never got the help he needed after coming back from war. 

"I think it's sick because he's a young boy, ashame, come to the Army and get no help. They need help," Garcia said. 

Waterbury police charged Veillette with criminal attempt at assault, criminal attempt at assault on a police officer and several other firearms charges. 

Veillette was treated on scene and brought to St. Mary's Hospital for treatment to the gunshot wound. He is currently in stable condition, in police custody at the hospital. 

No Waterbury officers were injured during this incident. 

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.