Documents outline details leading up to Griswold family murders - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Documents outline details leading up to Griswold family murders

Posted: Updated:
Ruth Correa was arrested in connection with the Griswold murders (CT State Police/WFSB) Ruth Correa was arrested in connection with the Griswold murders (CT State Police/WFSB)

Police documents outlining the slayings of a family in Griswold were released on Tuesday, detailing what allegedly happened in the hours before.

This comes after 23-year-old Ruth Correa, of Hartford, was arrested in connection to the deaths of Kenneth and Janet Lindquist, and their son Matthew, all of Griswold.

The remains of Janet and Kenneth were found inside their home in December, following a devastating fire.

Police said their son, 21-year-old Matthew, was found dead in the woods near the scene of the fire, on May 5.

The medical examiner said all three deaths are considered to be homicides.

According to an arrest warrant, before the house fire, Matthew Lindquist had agreed to exchange guns and a safe for drugs.

Ruth Correa told police that Matthew said if he got the drugs, which sounded like he was looking for marijuana, they could make it look like a robbery at his parent's home, by tying them up and stealing the guns from the safe.

When Ruth Correa and her brother arrived near the Lindquist's house to meet up with Matthew, Ruth stated he appeared to be "panicky and fidgety."

Matthew tried to run away and that's when her brother ran after him with a "machete that he had in the car, and hit him in the back of the head."

She then said, according to documents, that her brother was going to tie Matthew up with zip ties, but that's when he "started to yell and freak out," so her brother stabbed him with a knife.

Ruth said she believed he was dead.

After that, she said she and her brother then went into the house to get the gun safe, and encountered Kenneth Lindquist. Ruth said her brother began hitting Kenneth with a baseball bat.

According to the documents, Ruth took Janet into a bedroom and then began gathering up items from inside the home. When she went back into the bedroom, she found her brother choking Janet with a rope.

She said her brother told her to look for something flammable. Ruth said her brother handed her "cans that were square and the liquid inside smelled strong."

She said they "started to pour the thick liquid out onto the floor." They also lit an exercise ball on fire and she said "the ball went up in flames quick."

Documents say the two then lit the house on fire and took Matthew's vehicle, which was later found having been burned in Glastonbury.

According to the warrant, Correa told a neighbor at her Hartford apartment complex about the crime, and the parents, saying they "stabbed both, killing them, and then burnt the house before they took a car."

Correa is being held on a $2.5 million bond. A probable cause hearing is scheduled for June 6.

The investigation is ongoing.

Police have said in the past more arrests are expected. Her brother is not facing any charges in this case at this point.

Read the arrest warrant here. Warning, it contains graphic information.

Channel 3 will have more on this story at 5 p.m.

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.