Advertisement

Fire damages The Place 2 Be in downtown Hartford

The Place 2 Be in Hartford was damaged in a fire.
Published: Mar. 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - A fire in downtown Hartford destroyed parts of a very popular restaurant Tuesday.

The Place 2 Be is closed for the time being after fire plowed through the outside sit down area.

Restaurant crews have been on scene all day picking up the pieces.

What used to be the outside area where people would sit down to eat is all destroyed now.

Parts of the ceiling even came down.

The owner is not sure when they will be able to open.

The restaurant, known for its Instagrammable brunch is now covered in ashes after a fire broke out Tuesday morning.

“It came around the corner heading to work and there was police and fire engines everywhere. It was chaos,” said Madison Renouf.

Renouf is a barber right in front and says the whole area was filled with smoke.

Hartford officials say the flames were on the outside and a few propane tanks were involved.

“It’s honestly really freaky I am so glad it didn’t spread no more than it did. I know people live upstairs to that’s really freaky for everybody in the area and it really makes you think oh man you never know what can happen,” Renouf said.

In a statement The Place 2 Be owner Gina Luari said: “I’m incredibly distraught at the moment. The fire was started in the dumpster by an unidentified individual and spread throughout our entire patio area & into our bar area.”

She adds luckily no one was hurt but the damage was immense to both the building and their place.

The fire is under investigation.

So far the restaurant team says they are working hard to clean up the damage and ask for patience.

Crews responded to a fire at The Place 2 Be in Hartford on Tuesday.