PD: Standoff investigation underway in Guilford

A man is barricaded in a home in Guilford with weapons and police are trying to get him to come out peacefully.
Published: Apr. 13, 2022 at 2:32 PM EDT|Updated: Apr. 13, 2022 at 11:16 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GUILFORD, CT (WFSB) – A man is barricaded in a home in Guilford with weapons and police are trying to get him to come out peacefully.

The standoff has been going on for almost ten hours now.

Police say the man is barricaded in a home with family members.

Authorities say the man is now at another home that belongs to someone in his family. He has weapons and is refusing to come out.

“Right now we have blocked off roads in the area, we have a number of police officers up in the area to make sure residents know to stay in their houses. Right now the incident we are dealing with is at one address that we know of right now. Right now we are working with our crisis negotiators to work with the gentleman to hopefully peacefully resolve the situation by talking to him,” said Chief Butch Hyatt with the Guilford Police Department.

Guilford Police Chief Butch Hyatt said, “the fire department was notified of a 911 call for a fire at the home on route 80.”

When firefighters got to the scene, a man was standing in the yard with a gun.

“That person left. They notified us and then we were notified by a family member he was with them here,” said Hyatt.

Police say the home that was one fire, and the home where the man is currently barricaded both belong to the man’s family.

The home on Fitch Hill is less than a mile from Melissa Jones Elementary School.

The school was on a shelter in place earlier today, but Hyatt said they never went on lockdown and dismissed as usual.

Investigators are at both scenes trying to piece this case together.

On route 80, the state and local fire marshal are working to determine how that fire started.

“They’ll do work there to determine the cause and manner of that fire and once that’s determined we’ll be able to take action if that was an arson,” said Hyatt.

On Fitch Hill, Swat and crisis negotiators are hopeful they can talk the man into coming out without anyone getting hurt.

“We’re working towards a peaceful resolution and taking all the steps that we can to make sure that all of those things are done appropriately,” said Hyatt.

Stay with Eyewitness News for updates.