More police at New Milford High School today following ‘ghost gun’ investigation

Police said they made one juvenile referral and two arrests in the incident.
Published: Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:26 AM EDT|Updated: Apr. 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NEW MILFORD, CT (WFSB) - Addition police support will be at New Milford High School on Wednesday following arrests in connection with a ghost gun on the property.

New Milford High School was put in lockdown on Tuesday morning, according to the superintendent.

Three students were charged in connection with a so-called ghost gun that was found on the property.

Police said they made one juvenile referral and two arrests in the incident.

“The two arrests stemmed from a fight that occurred [Tuesday] morning in a bathroom at the high school and as a result of the fight, information regarding a gun on school property was obtained,” New Milford police reported. “A search of the juvenile suspect’s vehicle led to the discovery of a loaded 9mm pistol with no serial number.”

The 17-year-old juvenile was charged with criminal possession of a firearm and possession of a ghost gun.

Anthony Jack, 18, of New Milford, was charged with third-degree assault and breach of peace. He was given a $1,000 bond.

Christian Acosta, 19, of New Milford, was charged with third-degree assault and breach of peace. He was also given a $1,000 bond.

Police responded to the high school around 9:20 a.m. for the report of a weapon on school property.

The lockdown was lifted at 10:59 a.m.

“I am proud of my entire staff including dispatchers, officers and detectives for resolving this alarming situation quickly and decisively,” said New Milford Police Chief Spencer Cerruto.

Superintendent Alisha DiCorpo sent a statement out to parents around 9:30 a.m.

“There was an incident that occurred at the high school, and out of an abundance of caution, the school [was] in lockdown while it [was] being investigated,” DiCorpo said.

A New Milford student told Channel 3 what it was like at the time of the lockdown.

“At the time I was thinking like it was a regular drill. But when he didn’t come back on to to tell us what was going on, I started to wonder what was going on,” said Clinton Murphy Jr., a student.

Senior lecturer Kenneth Gray at the University of New Haven shed some light on ghost guns.

Gray called ghost guns a growing problem in Connecticut. He said they do not have serial numbers on them, which means police need fingerprints to trace the weapon.

Gray said some people use 3D printers to create parts and others buy them online.

“If a parent sees parts arriving at their house from gun manufacturers or may appear to be parts of a gun, their child maybe in the process of assembling a ghost gun,” Gray said.

Officials said parents should intervene if they notice anything.

New Milford students said they went back to their normal schedule after the lockdown. School officials said counseling services were offered to those who needed them.

DiCorpo on Wednesday morning released a statement about what happened.

“I’d like to thank the NMPD for their swift response to the call to assist the SRO at NMHS when the school was entering lockdown,” she said. “We are grateful that all students and staff are safe and that what could have been a very bad situation was handled carefully and quickly. Today there are additional mental health supports at the high school for students and staff to access should they wish to. Additionally, the chief and I discussed additional police presence at the high school to further enhance the security that is in place. When it comes to students and staff, safety is our utmost priority.”

Police officials said they continue to investigate what happened.

A court date for the suspects has yet to be announced.

From Superintendent DiCorpo The New Milford Police department is on scene. All students are safe. The police have...

Posted by New Milford Mayor - Pete Bass on Tuesday, April 26, 2022

No other details were released.

Three students at New Milford High School face charges for a ghost gun incident.
Ghost gun found at New Milford High School after fight