Fire destroys Artioli dealership in Enfield
ENFIELD, CT (WFSB) - Officials are investigating a car dealership fire in Enfield.
The fire was in the area of Route 5 by Montano Road on Friday morning.
The address is Artioli Chrysler Dodge Ram on Enfield Street.
The fire was hard to put out because pf things like gasoline and oil inside storage units.
A firefighter and car technician were injured but are expected to recover.
“We got called to the building shortly after 8 a.m. [Friday] morning,” said Fire Chief David Deskis, Thompsonville Fire Department. “There was heavy smoke and flames already in the air.”
Departments from several districts provided mutual aid.
Fire officials gave an update just after 11 a.m. on Friday:
“Heroically the employees grabbed fire extinguishers instinctively and tried to put the fire out and it just got too big and thankfully they decided to get out,” said Bob Artioli, the dealership owner.
Artioli is thankful everyone managed to get out.
The family-owned dealership has been in business since 1975.
“We have people that have been with us 30 years, we have a lot of upset people that have a lot of memories in there including myself,” Artioli said.
Many of the materials inside the dealership accelerated the fire, making it harder for crews to put out.
“All the fluids, oils, greases, gasolines, we actually contacted deep because there’s an extensive amount of fluids on the ground,” said Fire Chief David Deskis with the Thompsonville Fire Department.
The building is a total loss but it will always have a special place in the hearts of many in the community.
“I bought my first Chevy Tahoe here and they’ve been in business a long long time. It’s very sad to see a dealership catch on fire like this,” said Melissa Buxton of Enfield.
Artioli says they will come back stronger.
“We’re not going anywhere. We’re not going anywhere,” he said.
The Connecticut State Police Fire Marshal’s Office is helping with the investigation.
“We’ve been here since 1975 and we’re still going to be here,” Artioli said. “The building can be rebuilt. Thankfully everyone got out safely.”
Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updates.
Copyright 2022 WFSB. All rights reserved.