Police make arrest in murder of Hamden teen

Police make arrest in murder of Hamden teen
Published: Jun. 6, 2022 at 12:13 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 7, 2022 at 11:59 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HAMDEN, CT (WFSB) – One month after a high school freshman is shot and killed while walking home from school in Hamden, another teenager is now under arrest.

The shooting happened near the popular Farmington Canal Linear Park.

Hamden detectives tracked down leads and pieced together evidence, building their case in the deadly shooting that claimed the life of 15-year-old Elijah Gomez.

“By all accounts he was a very good, very decent Hamden high school freshman who certainly didn’t deserve this,” said Hamden Acting Police Chief Timothy Wydra.

Police said they have the gunman, 18-year-old Jenigh Ward.

Ward is charged with murder.

“Elijah’s death has had a profound impact on his family and the whole community. There’s nothing we can do to bring Elijah back, but I hope this arrest brings some small measure of relief to his family and friends,” said Hamden Mayor Lauren Garrett.

Police said Gomez, who had just celebrated a birthday less than a week before the deadly shooting, was walking home from school when shots ran out on the park.

A day after the shooting, an eyewitness described what he saw: “I heard a bunch of shots, really loud shots, came out, started looking around and saw somebody laying over there.”

At the time, police said they were following up on a number of leads.

The day after the shooting, officers and detectives spent a number of hours at a house near Gorham Avenue and Langer Street, just a little more than a mile from the shooting scene.

Now four weeks later, police say they have the person who pulled the trigger.

Police said they got a lot of cooperation a from businesses and residents, who came forward to help.

“There’s a lot more to be looked into, lot more, certainly motive is something we’re interested in. This was, we do not believe this was random, we believe he was targeted, we don’t know why,” said Wydra.

The chief tells said they continue to investigate, and they hope to make more arrests.

Ward is held on $1 million bond and has a court date for next week.