2 adults dead, child hospitalized after fire at Waterbury home

Fire officials said the toddler is in stable condition.
Published: Jun. 29, 2022 at 3:08 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 30, 2022 at 11:37 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WATERBURY, CT (WFSB) - Two adults are dead and a child is recovering after a fire at a Waterbury home Wednesday.

Fire officials said a male in his 40s and a female in her 30s died. They have not been identified.

The child, who fire officials say is around the age of 1, is still recovering at the hospital.

The fire happened at a home on 3rd Street.

Fire officials said the toddler is in stable condition.

Crews were able to get things under control within a half hour, but both the Chief and Deputy Chief say it could’ve been faster.

Around 10 a-m, Jahkquez Felton’s home caught on fire.

He was alerted by people outside.

“when we first heard it, I thought it was like a car accident. that’s when they kept coming upstairs saying it was a fire, fire, and people outside were saying fire,” said Felton.

He immediately got to the second floor, waking up his uncle Michael Mcnair.

A day later, Michael is still shaken up by what happened.

“I mean I have bad anxiety anyway so, when it happened, and then I see the baby come outside, doing CPR and stuff, it kinda shook me real bad,” said Mcnair.

After getting the call around 10 a.m., arriving crews saw heavy fire, mostly on the 3rd floor.

That’s where firefighters found the victims, all unconscious.

After pulling them out, the firefighters performed life-saving CPR before getting them in an ambulance to the hospital.

Deputy Chief Robert Stoeckert and Chief Terrence Baillou say if they still had access to the LUCAS machine, they could’ve knocked the fire out quicker.

Using it since March, it helped free up firefighters during active fires.

But due to a state licensing issue, it’s no longer available in their arsenal.

Chief Baillou says in this case, it would’ve freed up two firefighters.

“in a fire environment like that, you want to get as many people in place as you can because of the number of things that have to take place,” said Dep. Fire Chief Stephen Ayotte of the Waterbury Fire Department, “if they aren’t available, we have to replace them with somebody else.”

Waterbury fire is currently trying to get their “scope of services” expanded so those Lucas machines can be added back to their arsenal.

They were able to use them for about a month before the state issued their pause.

Given the heavy fire, high heat and low visibility this fire caused and the fact they still knocked it out pretty fast, Waterbury fire leaders say crews did a phenomenal job.

As Michael figures out the next steps, he’s keeping his neighbors in his heart.

“just knowing the baby is still hanging on is still scary because my main thing is, if I could have helped, I would’ve helped. but I couldn’t,” said Michael.

The cause is still under investigation.

Stay with Eyewitness News for updates.

The child, who fire officials say is around the age of 1, is still recovering at the hospital.
2 adults and toddler hurt in Waterbury fire
3 people hurt in Waterbury fire