Old Saybrook businesses forced to evacuate after restaurant employee leaves on gas

AJ Noodle Bar and surrounding businesses in Old Saybrook were evacuated the morning of Aug. 4.
AJ Noodle Bar and surrounding businesses in Old Saybrook were evacuated the morning of Aug. 4.(WFSB)
Published: Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:30 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OLD SAYBROOK, CT (WFSB) - Employees and customers at several Old Saybrook businesses had to evacuate Thursday morning because of a gas leak.

Firefighters rushed to AJ Noodle Bar on Main Street around 8 a.m. after someone smelled fumes in the area.

The owner of the business told Channel 3 that an employee accidentally left the gas on Wednesday.

As a precaution, police evacuated everyone inside 10 businesses that were part of the same strip. One local business owner was glad everything ended well, but said it was a bit of an unnerving way to start the day.

“It was a little unsettling,” said Dr. Rachel Cavanna, Achieve Wellness Chiropractic. “I thought I smelled something yesterday and everyone thought I was a little crazy because nobody else smelled it. So, it didn’t really surprise me that much.”

The entire situation was resolved in less than an hour.

Everyone Channel 3 spoke with said they were grateful that emergency responders fixed the issue before the worst heat of the day arrived.