Students in New Haven hospitalized after eating ‘edibles’

Edibles send New Haven students to the hospital
Published: Sep. 21, 2022 at 12:34 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) - Four students in New Haven were hospitalized Wednesday after eating ‘edibles,’ school officials said.

Three 8th grade students at Bishop Woods School and one student at Hillhouse High School were hospitalized in separate incidents.

The student who brought in the substance to Bishop Woods, which he described as an “edible,” experienced slurred speech and vomited, according to New Haven Public Schools.

The other two students at Bishop Woods were fine, but all three were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

School officials said while Hillhouse was in a lockdown because of police activity, one student began acting erratically.

The student said she ate an edible. She was taken to the hospital as a precaution, officials said.

The New Haven police said they were investigating what may have been in the candy in the Bishop Woods incident.

School officials said staff conducted a sweep of the school, saying it appears no other children took the candy.

Parents of those involved were notified and staff spent the afternoon going around to classes to talk to student about what happened.

Police said the 12-year-old who got the edible is cooperating.

“It is under investigation, so I don’t want to get into it too much, but the preliminary investigation revealed it was gotten from a family member, brought to school, not from other students at this point,” said New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson.

“I tell my kids all the time, don’t take anything from anybody, keep to yourself and that’s pretty much it, do your work and that’s all you’ve got to do,” said Christina Demayo, of New Haven.

In January a similar incident happened at the school. Five students ages 12 and 13 started throwing up after they ate chocolate edibles containing THC.

Students in New Haven hospitalized after eating edibles