Milford police wind down investigation following report of man with gun

Police respond to Milford neighborhood for report of man with a gun
Published: Nov. 2, 2022 at 5:21 AM EDT|Updated: Nov. 4, 2022 at 10:35 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MILFORD, CT (WFSB) - Milford police said an individual has been taken into custody after they were barricaded in a home.

The individual, a male later identified as Charles Aungst, 49, of 301 Bridgeport Ave, was taken into custody on Friday.

Police say Aungst called them on November 2nd stating that he was locked in his second floor apartment.

Aungst stated that he had fired a shot at the door lock to get out, according to police.

Officers arrived on scene and Aungst was seen in the window by officers carrying what was believed to be a shotgun or long gun.

The incident was then treated as a barricaded subject.

Police say several attempts and methods were used to contact Aungst that he did not respond to. During this time detectives obtained a search warrant for the residence and an arrest warrant for Aungst.

On November 4, at approximately 2:30 PM, Aungst walked out of the residence on his own and was taken into custody.

Detectives then conducted a search of the residence which resulted in locating a loaded shotgun, several shotgun rounds, a loaded revolver, a taser, a crossbow with arrows, and miscellaneous drug paraphernalia.

Aungst is being held on a $100,000 bond and is charged with:

Interfering with an Officer

Unlawful Discharge

Previous coverage follows:

Milford police officers responded to reports of a man with a gun early Wednesday morning.

The scene unfolded in the area of 301 Bridgeport Ave.

They said the individual appeared to have mental health issues.

Milford Police said the subject called them around midnight in what was described as a tenant landlord dispute.

“It started off as a landlord/tenant dispute. He stated the landlord locked him in his apartment, that he had a gun, and he fired off at the lock to try and get out,” said Marilisa Anania, Milford Police Department.

Police say they do not know if the man in fact fired off a round. They say no one else reported hearing a gun shot.

“Officers believed they did see him holding something that resembled a long gun or a shot gun, but there were no threats, just the comment made that he shot at the lock. We still want to take precautions until we can get inside and know for sure,” said Anania.

Authorities warned of delays in the area.

“We took every precaution, closed off pedestrian traffic, evacuated neighboring residents out of their homes, advised businesses not to open, as we investigated it more, learned there was no imminent danger to the public, so we scaled back our response,” said PFC Marilisa Anania, Milford police. “We still have officers on scene attempting to come to a successful resolution, but at this time its not as big as a threat as we originally prepared for.”

Police have since scaled back their presence and said they don’t believe there is a threat to the public.

“At this time, our investigation has led us to believe there is no longer an imminent threat,” they wrote on Twitter.

No other information was released.

This is a developing story. Stay with Eyewitness News 3 for updates.

Police investigate report of man with a gun in Milford
Milford police officers are on Bridgeport Avenue responding to reports of a man with a gun.