Legal team of man paralyzed in police custody, City of New Haven agree to pursue settlement

New Haven officers failed to properly secure Randy Cox in a police van following his arrest...
New Haven officers failed to properly secure Randy Cox in a police van following his arrest back in June 2022, a court said.(WFSB)
Published: Dec. 5, 2022 at 11:12 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) - The legal team for a man who was paralyzed in police custody and the City of New Haven have agreed to pursue a settlement.

Randy Cox’s lawyers announced a $100 million lawsuit against the city back in September.

They said Cox was paralyzed from the chest down after New Haven officers failed to properly secure him in the back of a police van following an arrest in June. The driver of the van stopped to avoid a crash and that sent Cox head-first into the rear doors of the van.

Monday, New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said that all parties involved in the civil case of Richard Cox v. City of New Haven, et al, agreed to pursue early settlement discussions. The discussions will be facilitated by a magistrate judge.

Elicker said the agreement was formalized on Friday in a joint legal filing submitted by all parties.

It also included an agreed upon trial schedule set to begin by Dec. 15, 2024, should both sides fail to come to an agreement.

Notably, the City of New Haven also joined with the plaintiffs in objecting to the request of the individual defendants that the discovery process for the civil case be stayed until the related criminal case against the individual defendants is resolved, reflecting the City’s desire for the civil case to move forward concurrently and in a timely manner, Elicker said.

State police charged five officers in connection with Cox’s paralysis.

They were identified as Officer Oscar Diaz, Officer Ronald Pressley, Officer Jocelyn Lavandier, Officer Luis Rivera, and Sgt, Betsy Segui.

A court found that the officers followed proper procedure while they arrested Cox, but what they did afterward and during transportation was wrong.

They were charged with reckless endangerment second-degree and cruelty to persons, state police said.

All have been on paid administrative leave since the incident.