Man accused of stabbing another man, then injecting himself with suspected fentanyl

Eyewitness News Sunday 11 p.m.
Published: Mar. 5, 2023 at 10:48 PM EST|Updated: Mar. 6, 2023 at 11:41 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WINDSOR LOCKS, CT (WFSB) - A man is accused of stabbing another man and injecting himself what Windsor Locks police suspected was fentanyl.

The suspect was identified as 43-year-old Sean Colgan.

Police were called to a home on Elm Street in Windsor Locks just before 10 p.m. for a reported stabbing.

Officers were informed by dispatchers that Colgan was attempting to overdose on fentanyl and that he would attack police if he were still alive upon their arrival.

The victim, a 31-year-old man, left through the front door as officers arrived and clearly suffered from knife wounds. Blood could be seen on his face, the side of his torso and left leg, police said. He identified Colgan as his assailant. Officers rendered aid to the victim and quickly learned that the suspect was in a back room trying to commit suicide by fentanyl injection.

Officers secured the home and attempted to find Colgan.

Colgan was spotted through a window pacing and visibly agitated in the dining room. He was called out by officers.

Colgan rambled and claimed he killed a pedophile in Hartford, police said.

Officers entered the home and saw blood spatter on the floor. They said they found Colgan with a syringe against his neck injecting himself with suspected fentanyl. He would not release the syringe as he stepped toward officers. They said he claimed he wanted to die.

Officers said they held their ground as Colgan began to feel the effects of the drug. He then became unconscious but still breathed. Medical personnel were rushed inside the home. They revived him after multiple Narcan doses.

However, police said he resumed his combative state. He was restrained and sent to Hartford Hospital. The knife was recovered at the scene.

An investigation revealed he came home under the influence of suspected drugs and threatened to kill people. His erratic combative behavior caused the victim to strike him with a baton in an effort to keep him from hurting those in the home. Police said Colgan then stabbed the victim.

Colgan was secured at Hartford Hospital and detained until his arraignment on Monday.

He was charged first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, and disorderly conduct.