2 separate fire calls interrupt voting polls in Seymour

Crews respond to fire at Seymour's community center
Published: May. 4, 2023 at 6:37 PM EDT|Updated: May. 4, 2023 at 9:42 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SEYMOUR, Conn. (WFSB) - The Seymour Fire Department, along with surrounding fire departments, were on scene for a fire at the Seymour Community Center.

The community center on Pine Street was being used for members in town to vote on a budget referendum.

The Office of the First Selectman said the first fire call occurred at 2:50 p.m. due to an electrical fire and disrupted voting for about 35 minutes.

Firefighters determined the issue came from a light in the ladies bathroom.

When firefighters responded to the first call, they removed the light and determined everything was okay.

An hour later they were called back for smoke in the same area.

That is when they found an old, burnt-out, heat motor.

The voting area was subsequently moved to the bingo room, and voting was extended to 9 p.m.

“It’s good to be able to have your opinion known, and for them to go ahead and move the voting to another safer area. I think that was wonderful,” said Irene Phillips, Seymour.

Both budget votes ended up failing.

Crews respond to fire at community center in Seymour