Thrown out smoking material blamed for Manchester fire

Smoking material caused house fire in Manchester, fire dept. says
Published: May. 19, 2023 at 5:26 AM EDT|Updated: May. 19, 2023 at 12:16 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MANCHESTER, CT (WFSB) - An apartment attached to a home in Manchester was destroyed by an early morning fire that firefighters blamed on the improper disposal of smoking material.

Shortly after 4:30 a.m. on Friday, dispatchers said they received calls for a structure fire on West Street.

Crews operate at a fire in Manchester.
Crews operate at a fire in Manchester.(Josh Sawtelle)

A large number of firefighters, trucks and police cruisers were seen working at the scene. They said initial reports said some people may have been trapped.

Channel 3 crews witnessed one person being treated at the scene for what was later described as non-life-threatening injuries.

A firefighter was also treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

In all, 14 people were forced from the home.

West Street was closed before Hartford and Copper Hill roads.

Crews cleared the scene shortly after 8:20 a.m.

The American Red Cross was said to be helping families impacted by the fire.

Firefighters sought to remind people about the extremely dry weather conditions.

“Caution should be used with any potential ignition source,” the Manchester Fire Department said.

Thrown out smoking material blamed for fire in Manchester
The incident occurred at 22 West Street after 4:30 a.m. Friday morning.
A large firefighter response was spotted at a house fire in Manchester on Friday morning.