Laura Grimmer from The Perfect Pear is showing us how to make Chicken with Chili and Peppers. You'll find great kitchen appliances, pots and pans, kitchen tools, and cooking and baking classes at The Perfect Pear. Visit perfectpearct.com to learn more.
Chicken with Chili and Peppers
Recipe provided by Laura Grimmer
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken legs
1 T. chili powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Canola or vegetable oil
1 onion, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 red pepper, cored and sliced lengthwise into ½-inch strips
½ jalapeño pepper, cored and diced finely (more, if desired)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 18-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (reserve liquid)
½ t. dried thyme
1 t. additional chili powder
1 c. quinoa or rice
3 c. tomato liquid plus water or chicken stock
1 T. lemon juice ¾ c. whole almonds, toasted (you may chop the nuts coarsely, if you prefer)
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and 1 T. chili powder. Heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet with a lid, enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sauté chicken until browned, about 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pan and drain off all but 1 T. fat.
2. Sauté onion in fat until softened lightly, about 5 minutes. Then, add red and jalapeño peppers and cook another 5 minutes, until softened. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, before adding drained tomatoes, dried thyme and additional 1 t. chili powder. Cook tomatoes until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
3. Add quinoa or rice to pan, stirring, for 1 minutes. Add three cups liquid and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then return chicken pieces to the pan, nestling them in. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover with the lid. Simmer on the stovetop for 20 minutes, or the grain is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, heat the broiler to high with the rack 4-6 inches from the heat. When grain is cooked and chicken is cooked through, remove chicken to a heat-safe dish and broil until the skin is crispy, about 5 minutes.
5. While chicken is crisping, add lemon juice to the grain, stirring to combine. Check seasoning.
6. Divide grain among four plates, top with two pieces of chicken and the toasted almonds.