NIANTIC, CT (WFSB) -- A local veterinary hospital is issuing a warning after two dogs in the last five days were found to have ingested THC.
Clark Veterinary Hospital posted on Facebook Tuesday morning saying they’ve seen two dogs who had ingested THC while on walks at Cini Beach in Niantic and the Old Saybrook Land Trust/Preservation.
THC is an ingredient found in cannabis and is toxic to animals.
“At this time, we don't know if the dogs ingested residue from oil-based "pods" containing THC, burnt-ends of joints or loose marijuana, so please be mindful when on walks,” officials at the animal hospital said in the Facebook post.
They went on to remind pet owners to keep their animals on leashes.
They also said if you suspect your dog has ingested THC, to contact them immediately.
Doctor Carol Himsel from Pieper Veterinary said these are not isolated cases.
She did no treat either case in Niantic.
"It's very common, actually. We probably see it as often as once a week sometimes," said Himsel.
She says chance in behavior are rapid, such as uncoordination since the central nervous system is targeted once ingested.
"We can see tremors, again hyper-excitability, we might see their pupils very dilated. Marijuana also causes changes in your heart rate," said Himsel.
Sometimes, dogs are exposed to either joints, loose marijuana leaves, or edibles, which they're highly attracted to.
Other times, people blow second-hand smoke into their faces.
Once exposed, vets will sometimes have to sedate animals, give IV fluids and monitor body temperatures, that's if owners bring them in.
Some are reluctant out of fear of being in trouble with the law, but the vet community says it's not interested in law enforcement.
"All we care is that we find out what the dog has been exposed to and so that we know how to treat it," Himsel said.
The animal hospital posted a link to more information about marijuana toxicity in pets, which can be found here.