A missing teen report took a tragic turn when police found his body at the bottom of a pool in Hartford's Keney Park.

Officers haven't identified him; however, the boy's family told Channel 3 that he was 16-year-old Jaevon Whyte.

His stepfather said he didn't think Jaevon knew how to swim.

The Keney Park pool was closed for the day.

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin, Hartford Police Chief David Rosado, and Director of Youth and Rec, Kim Oliver, held a press conference on Wednesday.

At the press conference, Bronin said that the camera and notification system at the Keney Park pool was not working at the time of the incident.

The modem on the system failed due to the extreme heat.

The cameras have not been working for a couple of weeks, but were being worked on yesterday afternoon. The off-site work on the camera on Tuesday didn't work, which is why the camera was still down.

The pool at the park had just been filled on July 2.

There is one camera at the park, which has multiple views.

"He’s a young boy. His whole life is ahead of him. To lose it this way is sad," said Sophia Hercule of Hartford.

Officers first responded to the area of 1450 Main St. for a report of a missing juvenile just before 1 a.m.

According to police, officers were then called to the scene at Keney Park just after 2 a.m.

They said the same people who called about the missing juvenile reported that he was found in the pool at the park.

Police said officers climbed the fence to get into the pool area and located the boy at the bottom of the deep end.

Officials said he was the only person in the pool at the time of the call.

Bronin said there was a large group of people at the pool and the left the area around 9 p.m. because they thought the police were coming.

They didn't realize that Jaevon was not with them.

Jaevon was pulled from the pool with the help of firefighters and given CPR. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

"It’s scary when you have young kids," Sophia Hercule said. "At the end of the day you just have to know where your kids are."

Police said there were no signs of foul play.

While Sophia Hercule said she had second thoughts about going to the park on Wednesday, she decided to bring her daughter.

"I come to this park almost every day," said Mcazy Hercule of Hartford. "What I like about this park is the pond and I get to walk around it and I get to feed the ducks."

Investigators said it appears to be drowning. The medical examiner will look into the exact cause of death.

Officials said that the cameras at the other pools are working and the one at Keney Park is working now.

The investigation into what happened is ongoing, according to police.

A prayer vigil will be held for Whyte on Monday, July 9 at 7:15 p.m. outside the Keney Park pool.

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Digital Content Producer

Recommended for you