Two firefighters in Shelton were arrested as part of an arson investigation, according to police.

Former fire captain Gregory Bomba, 45, surrendered himself to police on Monday.

According to investigators, Bomba set fire to the bed of a pickup truck that was parked behind the Echo Hose Company #1 on Coram Avenue. It happened on Feb. 3.

The truck abutted the fire house.

The fire was started during a past captain's dinner, police said.

Detectives investigated and were able to identify who was responsible after interviewing several members of the Shelton Fire Department.

"When the fire was getting out of control, Mr. Bomba went up to the second floor of the firehouse and notified people a fire was taking place. At which that point another firefighter comes downstairs with a fire extinguisher," said Attorney John Cirello.

According to the arrest warrant, when police interviewed Bomba "Bomba stated he has not seen Tortora in a while so he started the fire just kidding around.”

“As to the allegations was it guys goofing around? It’s hard to comment on the allegations with regards to saying what is true and what’s not, because that would really damage my client’s case, anybody who read the police report, I think your characterization of goofing around makes a lot of sense,” Cirello said.

But police say the fire was no laughing matter.

The two allegedly used cardboard boxes from inside the fire house to start the fire, which got pretty big.

According to police, on a video taken from Bomba’s cell phone, “Bomba can be heard saying, ‘We have a working fire’ and Tortora can be seen and heard laughing.”

Investigators say the truck, which was parked next to the back door of the firehouse, burned a garage door, doing $450 worth of damage.

They say the fire also burned the front of a city owned Chevy Impala parked in the lot as well, before Tortora got in his truck and drove off.

Police documents say “Tortora stated that other drivers were pulling up beside him beeping their horns. Tortora stated he then drove on Route 8 and sped up until the burning boxes flew out of his truck. Tortora told us this jokingly and laughing.”

Bomba was charged with second-degree arson, second-degree reckless endangerment and second-degree criminal mischief.

He was held on a $250,000 bond and will be arraigned on Monday.

Bomba was the second arrest to be made in the case.

Thursday, police said they arrested 57-year-old William Tortora for his role in the crime.

Tortora was also charged with second-degree arson, second-degree reckless endangerment and second-degree criminal mischief.

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Digital Content Producer