Smoking vaping vape generic

SOUTHINGTON, CT (WFSB) -- The Southington school district alerted parents earlier this week after a first-grade student found a vape device on a school bus.

The student brought the device home and told an adult.

Thankfully the child did not put the device in his/her mouth, as it could have resulted in nicotine poisoning.

"These (vapes) are being sold in hundreds of different flavors, including flavors and colors that would be absolutely appealing to kids," said Kyran Quinlan, M.D., M.P.H., FAAP, chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Council on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention. "It's such a small quantity and yet it's so toxic and so deadly. I don't think (people) realize what a deadly toxin they have in their house when they have liquid nicotine."

In the letter, Quinlan went on to say "There are three routes of nicotine exposure that (are toxic to) children. If they put it in their mouth even without swallowing it will be absorbed into the mucous membranes, just like nicotine gum. If they swallow, it will be absorbed in the intestinal tract. If they spill it on their skin, it's absorbed through the skin just like a nicotine patch."

The letter went on to remind parents to talk to their children about the dangers of vaping.

Copyright 2021 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(1) comment

Dan7543

Could have, only if the child ingested all the vape juice that was left.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.