Portland high school vaping

Four students fell ill after vaping in a Portland High School bathroom (WFSB)

PORTLAND, CT (WFSB) -- Emergency crews were called to Portland High School on Tuesday afternoon for an incident involving four students.

Police dispatchers initially called it an "overdose," however Superintendent of Schools Philip O'Reilly clarified, saying four male students fell ill after allegedly vaping in a school bathroom.

It happened on Tuesday afternoon around 1:30 p.m.

O'Reilly said medical personnel were called to the school, out of caution, and the four students are being evaluated.

In a letter to parents, O'Reilly said "As always, student safety is of utmost concern. The administration will thoroughly investigate the matter and will address this incident in accordance with BOE policy."

Vaping among teens has been a concern for many parents, and it's been on the rise nationwide.

A federally funded study, which was released last month, found that one in five high school seniors in the United States vaped at some point.

In Connecticut, almost 15 percent of high school students surveyed said they vaped, and that number has doubled since 2015.

Copyright 2019 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.