Busy Capitol Avenue has finally reopened after being shut down Wednesday for a chemical leak.

Deputy Chief Brian Foley said the incident happened at 490 Capitol Ave. on Wednesday morning.

According to fire officials, a tank containing sulfuric acid ruptured and spilled inside the building of Capital District Energy Center Cogeneration Associates.

"The tank ruptured at a certain level where the possibility of 200 to 300 gallons of sulfuric acid may have escaped the tank and outside retaining walls spilling onto the floor," said Deputy Chief Alvaro Cucuta, Hartford Fire Department.

The building was evacuated around 7:30 a.m. and roads in the area were closed.

The business itself was running on autopilot.

Capitol Avenue was closed between Putnam and Park Terrace for about 12 hours.

It finally reopened just before 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

Police said the scene was contained indoors, and firefighters said there was no cause for concern to public safety. No runoff and no drains were affected.

The road being closed was inconvenient for people who live nearby.

"Yeah I had someone pick me up in the morning bring me to the office and now I have to do more, but that's why I'm back," said Fernando Betancourt from Hartford.

The owner of a restaurant across the street said it's been bad for business.

"A little nervous because we are not sure how long this will take and we’re actually hoping it’ll clear up by the end of the day," said Jamilia Crawford, owner, Fire & Spice Vegan Restaurant.

They called the situation "ongoing."

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Digital Content Producer

Digital Content Producer

Recommended for you