Dozens of people had to be treated after a carbon monoxide "emergency" caused employees to be evacuated from a building in Bristol and treated at the scene on Thursday morning.
Authorities were called to a "mass casualty" situation at the Faneuil Call Center, which is located at 32 Valley St. around 11 a.m.
Employees at the call center were doing training while construction was taking place at the building. A power saw, which was powered by a propane tank, was being used in construction and an employee saw CO leaked from that tool.
"A preliminary investigation determined that the cause of the carbon monoxide may have been a construction company working in the building," police said in a statement on Thursday.
Carbon monoxide is odorless, but the propane smell from the construction equipment being used may have leaked into the vents and may have caused many to notice the odor and get out.
"I almost fainted and I was like what the heck is the smell in here. We have to go. We have to get out of here," said Darren Little, who is a Faneuil Inc. employee.
There are 150 to 160 people who work at the call center. Police said 30 to 40 people working in the building were treated at the scene for "symptoms associated with carbon monoxide exposure." About 26 people were taken to hospital as precaution, but police said the injuries were not serious.
Call center officials said it is believed people will be able to return to work on Friday.
The building was ventilated and deemed to be safe after about two hours, but the people working there were sent home for the day with pay.
Stay with Eyewitness News on air and online for updates.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.