Crews from multiple towns worked to extinguish a fire at Plainfield Memorial School on Wednesday morning.

Plainfield Public Schools Superintendent Kenneth DiPietro said hundreds of students will have to start the school year somewhere else while repairs are made, an estimated $1 million worth.

"In about 10 to 12 days, we need to find a place for 350 to 360 students," DiPietro said. "It's hard finding a single facility, but we'll look to do that in the next 2 to 3 days so we can inform all parents where it will start and if we'll start on time."

School is supposed to start on Aug. 27 for teachers and Aug. 29 for students.

Plainfield Public Schools said full restoration after the fire suggests that the school may not reopen until after the December school break.

The school system is looking into an alternative facility to house the 350 students for the 4th and 5th grade.

DiPietro the fire appeared to have started in a room on the second floor that didn't have a lot of things in it; however, it was so intense that it burned through a water main. The burst main helped to contain the fire, but caused water damage.

Crews actually had to put a 20-foot hole in the roof to get to the fire.

DiPietro said they're looking at fire, water or soot damage to a number of rooms, including classrooms and a library.

Chief Travis Irons of the Plainfield Fire Company said crews were called to 75 Canterbury Rd. for an activated fire alarm around midnight on Wednesday.

Upon arrival, Chief Irons said he investigated an audible alarm on the exterior of the building.

It was determined there was an active fire in the building and the assignment was upgraded to include Moosup Fire Department, Central Village Fire Department, Atwood Hose Fire Department, Danielson Fire Department, and South Killingly Fire Department.

Crews stretched hose lines into the school and accessed the roof area.

According to Irons, the fire was located in several administrative rooms off a second-floor hallway.

All visible fire was knocked down by 12:50 a.m.

Firefighters worked to ventilate a significant amount of smoke from the school and the incident was deemed under control around 2 a.m.

No one was injured during the incident.

The Plainfield Fire Marshal's Office and Plainfield police are working with the Connecticut State Police and Explosion Investigation Unit to determine the cause and origin of the fire.

DiPietro said the middle school, which had fire doors separating it from the part of the building damaged by the fire, was not affected and will start on time at Plainfield Memorial.

Copyright 2018 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Recommended for you