Storm leaves damage along CT shoreline

A couple of boats broke their moorings overnight and slammed up against the rocks along the Connecticut shoreline. (WFSB)

Cleanup was well underway on Monday after Sunday night's storm left some damage along the Connecticut shoreline.

With the strong winds and heavy rain, it was inevitable that there would be some problems to clean up on Monday, but it wasn't until the sun came up along the shoreline that the serious damage was seen.

A couple of boats broke their moorings overnight and slammed up against the rocks.

Two vessels that were tied to their moorings in Niantic are destroyed on Monday by the pounding surf and wind that drove them into the rocky ledge.

"There are hazardous materials aboard obviously, there is fuel and other stuff you have to take them out of the water." Larry Standard, of Niantic, said.

There were large waves at Miami Beach in Old Lyme after high tide flooded Hartford Avenue.

At Crescent Beach, contractors were busy shoveling the beach and the rocks away from a house, just as they had done following Superstorm Sandy five years ago to the day.

"All the rocks came from the beach onto the patio there on the other side,” said Jeremy Goff, a landscape contractor.

Meanwhile, many homeowners without power are running generators after downed trees took out wires. Eastern Connecticut was slammed, and all day residents were struggling to get power restored.

With nearly 100 percent of the homes without electricity, the fire department is ready and concerned because of the danger of people using generators, alternative heat and light to get them through.

Shetucket Road in Voluntown was impassible Monday morning until crews cut a path for emergency services, and homeowners to get fuel for their generators.

"With Sandy, we were out for a few days,” said Dave LaMothe, who has a generator.

Generators are the lifeline in town for homeowners when their power goes out, and it could be days for some before the power comes back on.

Evan at the local Baptist church, which is serving as a temporary shelter, the generator is keeping the coffee hot and the cell phone cords charged.

"When I woke this morning 100 percent of the town didn't have power so it looked like it was going to be a bigger issue so a couple of us got together and said its time to open the church up,” said Deacon Dean Witter.

The school in town is also a shelter with a shower and the fire department is available too and will remain staffed during the outage.

To pictures of the storm damage on your mobile device, click here.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.