(Meredith) - A California girl died after she was electrocuted while swimming in her father's backyard pool, according to authorities.
The tragic incident happened Sunday at a home in Citrus Heights, about 20 miles northeast of Sacramento.
McKenzie Kinley, 9, was swimming with four other children when a wire attached to an underwater pool light electrocuted her, Sacramento Metro Fire officials said. The light fixture was being repaired, KCRA reported.
Medics tried to revive McKenzie at the scene. She was later taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The other children were not harmed.
McKenzie's father described her as "the most gentle little girl."
"All she wanted to do was make everyone happy,” he told KCRA.
Her mother, Elizabeth Moore, said McKenzie brightened her life.
“Nothing was hard with her because she found a way to make it better," Moore said.
A GoFundMe page has raised more than $15,000 to the help the family cover McKenzie's funeral expenses.